Tag Archives: Committee of Adjustment

Sophia condos now seniors housing

North York project changed to affordable apartments
Patricia and Bathurst site should see action this summer
By Kris Scheuer
(Written May 6 for Town Crier.)

The Sophia Condos project has changed to a seniors affordable housing complex. Photo by Karolyn Coorsh/Town Crier.

A once controversial plan to build luxury condos at Patricia Avenue and Bathurst Street has now morphed into a project of a different kind: A 237-unit affordable housing rental highrise apartment building.
Several years ago, developers Cityzen planned to construct 240 condos in a 10-storey building described as being luxurious enough to rival the finest European hotels with a fully equipped gym, steam rooms, a party lounge and full catering kitchen.
At the time, many residents on Patricia protested the project, which they feared would bring congestion and traffic problems to North York street.
Multiple calls to Cityzen were not returned, but their lawyer Adam Brown confirmed the new project is moving forward under the previous approvals, but with some changes. Continue reading

John Lyle’s MacLean House demo stopped

Province halts alterations of 100-year old home
City explores heritage criteria for 7 Austin Terrace
By Kris Scheuer
(Written for Town Crier Dec. 23.)

President of Casa Loma Residents Association Robert Levy and Dyan Kirshenbaum cheered the provincial stop work order. Photo by Francis Crescia/Town Crier.

Is the MacLean House at 7 Austin Terrace worth saving?
The province has bought the city 60 days to find out.
Minister of Culture Aileen Carroll issued a stop work order Dec. 21, halting the owner from continuing to destroy possible heritage features of the 100-year-old mansion near Casa Loma.
The new owner, a numbered company, applied to the city for a demolition permit to tear down the house and build a townhouse development.
But residents who want to see the home designated a heritage property will have nothing of it.
“Residents said we should look at it from a heritage standpoint,” Councillor Joe Mihevc said. “That was communicated to the developer who started work on (removing elements of the home).”
Some damage had already been done before the stop work order was issued.

Continue reading