No incumbent, nine candidates compete for vote
Seat up for grabs in competitive race
It’s eleven days until election day. And I am still an undecided voter for mayor, trustee and council candidates in my Ward 19. As a political reporter who interviews candidates, writes city hall stories and pleads with people to be informed voters: I need to take my own advice.
In the past, I have had the advantage of interviewing candidates in elections in the different downtown Toronto ridings and wards I have lived in.
Or my colleagues have done stories on the local candidates where I reside, so that’s always helped me stay on top of issues, who is running and what they stand for.
This election, the Town Crier where I work has been heavily covering the election since last year even before candidates started officially registering Jan. 4. But we are not covering Ward 19. So I am on my own.
Besides reading campaignmaterial and dropping by the offices of local candidates in my neighbourhood, I am attending a Ward 19 debate tonight.
I hope to become better informed.
I will let you know tomorrow (Fri Oct 15) my thoughts on the registered candidates for this Trinity-Spadina Ward 19: David (Ted) Footman, Mike Layton, Jim Likourezos, Sean McCormick, Karlene Nation, George Sawision, Jason Stevens, Karen Sun and Rosario Bruto (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Posted in Toronto Politics
Tagged 19, candidates, David Footman, George Sawision, Jason Stevens, Jim Likourezos, Karen Sun, Karlene Nation, Kris Scheuer, Mike Layton, Rosario Bruto, Sean McCormick, Trinity-Spadina, vote, ward
Mayoral candidate unveils plan to balance 2011 budget
Modest tax increase, no staff firings, no service cuts
(Written for Town Crier Oct. 14)
Toronto mayoral candidate Joe Pantalone releases his economic plan. Photo by Kris Scheuer/Town Crier.
Joe Pantalone made two big announcements this morning:
First, Pantalone said he won’t drop out of the race for the city’s top job. And second, he said he can deliver a balanced budget in 2011.
“This budget has a number of components in it,” he said. “First of all it has no service cuts. It does not call for any additional money from the provincial government for 2011 because we understand the province and feds have financial issues as well.
“It is a city building-budget which is fiscally responsible,” he claimed.
Pantalone said the city’s facing a $503 million gap to balance next year’s budget. That pressure grows to $541 due to $22 million in campaign promises plus the $16 million revenue loss of phasing out the vehicle registration tax in 2011 through 2014 plus a four-year tax freeze for seniors earning less than $50,000 living in their own home.
With Rossi out, it leaves three frontrunners left
Rob Ford, George Smitherman, Joe Pantalone
By Kris Scheuer
Rocco Rossi has bowed out of Toronto mayor's race. Photo by Karolyn Coorsh/Town Crier.
RoccoRossi is no longer running to be Mayor of Toronto.
I don’t know the exact moment when he made the decision but he made the announcement at 9 pm last night, just five hours after attending an editorial board meeting at the Town Crier newspaper where I work.
Here’s Rossi’s goodbye speech and read it in full below.
“Good evening and thank you for coming.
Over the past nine months I have had the privilege to meet thousands of Torontonians and their families and speak with them about their lives, hopes and dreams for our great city.
Torontonians graciously invited me into their homes, parks, offices, churches, mosques and synagogues. They spoke candidly about their concerns for the city, their desire for change, but also their hopes for their children, and their vision for a better Toronto.
I thank every one of those individuals who took the time to tell me how they wanted the city to change, to improve – now and for future generations.
We are a great city and a generous people, but our city is at a crossroads. We cannot go on as we have, yet the road ahead is unclear. As a community, and as a city, we need to decide what new direction we…together… will take. That is what elections are for, and that is why I was the first candidate to officially enter this race last January.”