I started a new career as a communications.
Since April 30, 2012, I now work as a Media Relations Consultant at
Toronto Public Health with the City of Toronto.
Before that for one year from May 4, 2011 to the end of April, 2012 I worked in as communications associate at St. Joseph’s Health Centre (hospital) in Toronto.
My journalism experience spans from 1998 to May 2/2011 writing about the environment, politics and news that impact the people who live and work in Toronto.
I was recently the city hall bureau chief for the Town Crier newspapers.
I split my workdays three ways: out on assignment bouncing around Toronto neighbourhoods, at the the paper’s press office in Toronto City Hall and the newspaper’s head office. I’m a downtown city girl who has called T.O my home since day one.
E-mail: scheuerkris@ gmail.com
April 30, 2012-Present (contract)
Media Relations Consultant
Toronto Public Health, City of Toronto
Respond to 100 media calls monthly on a wide range of public health issues
Media interview prep
Arrange press conferences, write releases, proactive media outreach
May 4, 2011-end of April 27, 2012 (One year contract covering a maternity leave)
St. Joseph’s Health Centre
· Successful proactive media pitches resulting in articles & media event coverage
· Creating key messages for media interviews, drafting speeches, news releases
· Delivering on call media relations, media monitoring, responding to incoming media inquiries
· Creating communications for internal and external audiences
· Writing and editing publications, brochures, web articles, annual report
· Active participant in hospital committees, support for on-site events
May 2009-May 2011
• Write SEO headlines, original and updated news, opinion articles
• Attracted subscribers
• Posted selection of my 5,500 published articles
Portfolio blog: http://krisscheuer.wordpress.com
• Online portfolio for writing and communications work
September 2002-May 2011
Town Crier newspapers (nine editions)
City Hall Bureau Chief
• Write exclusive and updated, daily online articles for mytowncrier.ca
• Write opinion columns and articles on news, politics and education
• Develop and maintain contacts and story ideas for news and features
• Write columns on city hall issues and the environment
January 2006-August 2006
• Develop ideas for heavily researched news features
• Write in-depth, multi-sourced news articles
February 2002-September 2002
CondoBusiness and Canadian Property Management magazines
• Write feature articles
• Edit all copy for two monthly magazines
• Research, develop story ideas and assign all copy
• Co-ordinate all photos including cover shot, write headlines, subheads, cutlines
February 2001-January 2002
The Annex Gleaner-Burchell Publishing
• Edit copy and work on final layout and production of newspaper
• Research, assign stories for each edition
• Write majority of editorial content
• Manage and develop future editions
July 1998-February 2001
• Write weekly spotlight section 8-29 pages
• Edit magazine copy
• Report on travel industry events, feature articles based on travel
January 2004-April 2004
George Brown College
Grammar and Punctuation II course
September 1995-April 1998
School of Journalism, Humber College, Toronto
Graduated with honours from three-year diploma program
September –December, 1994
George Brown College, Toronto
Women’s Writing, Desktop Publishing
September 1992-April 1994
Ryerson University, Toronto
Magazine Writing, Copy Editing and Research, Publishing
Other skills and qualifications
Published articles in Toronto Star, NOW Magazine, Spacing magazine, Etobicoke Guardian, Travelweek, WOMAN newsmagazine, WHY magazine, Annex Gleaner, Canadian Property Management, Property Management Report, Condo Business, Town Crier and Hospital News.
Volunteer host for Canadian newcomers with CultureLink.
Panelist at Women in Politics event sponsored by MP Carolyn Bennett, featured as guest on CBC radio.